Satellite tagging of shortfin mako for habitat use and post-release survival: progress report for SRDCP
This paper provides an update of two projects developed within the ICCAT Shark Research and Data Collection Program (SRDCP) using satellite telemetry, specifically a study on habitat use and another on post-release survival. Currently, all phase 1 (2015-2016) tags (23 tags: 9 miniPATs and 14 sPAT) have been deployed by observers on Portuguese, Uruguayan and US vessels in the temperate NE, temperate NW and SW Atlantic. A total of 668 tracking days have been recorded. In terms of post-release survivorship, data from 19 tags/specimens is available. From those, 6 specimens died (31.6%) while the remaining 13 (68.4%) survived the first 30 days after tagging. All planned project milestones and deliverables have been achieved and delivered in due time. For the 2nd phase of the project (2016-2017) 12 miniPATS were acquired and will be deployed during 2017 in various regions of the Atlantic, including temperate, tropical and equatorial waters.