There is no evidence that dyeing bait a dark blue colour reduces sea turtle interaction rates with fishing gear. Laboratory experiments with loggerheads suggest that each individual has its own consistent colour preferences [9 in 4]. Colour preferences demonstrated in a laboratory setting, i.e., avoidance of blue-dyed bait by loggerheads and Kemp's ridley turtles, were not expressed in field trials [10 in 4]. Experimental fishing in the Pacific also failed to find any significant effect of dyed bait on turtle interaction rates [11 in 4].
- Birdlife International (2014) Bycatch Mitigation Fact-Sheet 10. Pelagic Longline: Blue-dyed bait (squid). English, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified & Traditional Chinese.
- Boggs, C.H. 2001. Deterring albatrosses from contacting baits during swordfish longline sets. In: Seabird Bycatch: trends, roadblocks and Solutions. (Eds. E. Melvin and J. Parish). University of Alaska Sea Grant, Anchorage, USA. pp. 79-94.
- Clarke, S., Sato, M., Small, C., Sullivan, B., Inoue, Y. and Ochi, D. 2014. Bycatch in longline fisheries for tuna and tuna-like species: a global review of status and mitigation measures. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper No. 588. Rome, FAO. 199 pp.
- Cocking, L.J., Double, M.C., Milburn, P.J. and Brando, V. 2008. Seabird bycatch mitigation and blue-dyed bait: A spectral and experimental assessment. Biological Conservation, 141, 1354-1364.
- Gilman E., Brothers N., Kobayashi D., Martin S., Cook J., Ray J., Ching G. and Woods B. 2003. Performance assessment of underwater setting chutes, side setting an bluedyed bait to minimize seabird mortality in Hawaii longline tuna and swordfish fisheries. Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council.
- IOTC. 2008. Brilliant Blue FCF - colour swatch. In: IOTC Resolution 08/03, On Reducing the Incidental Bycatch of Seabirds in Longline Fisheries. Annex 1.
- Kiyota, M., Minami, H. and Yokota, K. 2007. Overview of mitigation measures to reduce incidental catch of seabirds in Japanese tuna longline fishery. Poster presented at the joint meeting of tuna commissions, Kobe.
- Piovano, S., Farcomeni, A. & Giacoma, C. 2012. Do colours affect biting behaviour in loggerhead sea turtles? Ethology, Ecology & Evolution, 25: 12-20.
- Swimmer, Y., Arauz, R., Higgins, B., McNaughton, L., McCracken, M., Ballestero, J. and Brill, R. 2005. Food colour and marine turtle feeding behaviour: Can blue bait reduce turtle bycatch in commercial fisheries? Marine Ecology Progress Series 295: 273-278. doi:10.3354/meps295273
- Yokota, K., Kiyota, M. and Okamura, H. 2009. Effect of bait species and color on sea turtle bycatch in a pelagic longline fishery. Fisheries Research 97(1-2): 53-58. doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2009.01.003