A review which is very useful to read in conjunction with the above description (see link at end of References): Lokkeborg, S., Siikavuopio, S.I., Humborstad, O.-B., Utne-Palm, A.C. and Ferter, K. 2014. Towards more efficient longline fisheries: fish feeding behaviour, bait characteristics and development of alternative baits. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 24: 985-1003.
- Bach, P., Gamblin, C. and Lucas, V. 2008. The effect of bait type on hooking responses of target and non-target species on pelagic longlines : preliminary results from fishing experiments in the Seychelles. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science 7(2): 151-161.
- Bach, P., Hodent, T., Donadio, C., Romanov, E., Dufosse, L., and Robin, J.-J. 2012. Bait innovation as a new challenge in pelagic longlining. In Mitigating impacts of fishing on pelagic ecosystems: Towards ecosystem-based management of tuna fisheries (Montpellier, France). http://ebfmtuna-2012.sciencesconf.org/browse/author?authorid=187380
- Brothers, N.P., Cooper, J. and Lokkeborg, S. 1999. The incidental catch of seabirds by longline fisheries: worldwide review and technical guidelines for mitigation. FAO Fisheries Circular No. 937. FAO, Rome.
- Erickson, D.L. and Berkeley, S. 2008. Methods to reduce bycatch mortality in longline fisheries. In Sharks of the Open Ocean - Biology, Fisheries and Conservation. Camhi, M., Pikitch, E.K. and Babcock, E.A. (eds).
- Erickson, D., Goldhor, S. and Giurca, R. 2000. Efficiency and species selectivity of fabricated baits used in Alaska demersal longline fisheries. ICES Annual Science Conference, Belgium. CM 2000/J:04.
- Hancock, D.A. 1974. Attraction and avoidance in marine invertebrates - their possible role in developing an artificial bait. ICES Journal of Marine Science 35(3): 328-331.
- Jacobsen, J. and Joenson, J. 2004. Comparison of bait in longline fishery. BSc Masters Thesis, University of the Faroe Islands.
- Jonsson, G. and Tryggvadóttir, S. 1997. Literature Research on Artificial Bait. Icelandic Fisheries Laboratories Report Summary. http://www.matis.is/media/utgafa//Skyrsla_05-97.pdf
- Jordan, L.K., Mandelman, J.W., McComb, D.M., Fordham, S.V., Carlson, J.K., and Werner, T.B. 2013. Linking sensory biology and fisheries bycatch reduction in elasmobranch fishes: a review with new directions for research. Conservation Physiology 1(1): cot002 doi:10.1093/conphys/cot002. http://conphys.oxfordjournals.org/content/1/1/cot002
- Lokkeborg, S. 1989. Longline bait: Fish behaviour and the influence of attractant release rate and bait appearance. Dr. Sc. Thesis, University of Bergen In Jacobsen, J. and Joenson, J. 2004. Comparison of bait in longline fishery. BSc Masters Thesis, University of the Faroe Islands.
- Lokkeborg, S. 1990. Reduced catch of under-sized cod (Gadus morhua) in longlining by using artificial bait. Canadian Journal of Fisheries Aquatic Science 47:1112-1115.
- Mejuto, J., Auton, U. and Quintans, M. 2005. Visual acuity and olfactory sensitivity in the swordfish (Xiphias gladius) for the detection of prey during field experiments using the surface longline gear with different bait types. ICCAT Standing Committee on Research and Statistics. SCRS/2004/152. Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 58(4): 1501-1510.
- Piovano, S., Clo, S. and Giacoma, C. 2010. Reducing longline bycatch: The larger the hook, the fewer the stingrays. Biological Conservation 143(1): 261-264.
- Southwood, A., Higgins, B., Brill, R. and Swimmer, Y. 2007. Chemoreception in loggerhead sea turtles: an assessment of the feasibility of using chemical deterrents with longline gear. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-PIFSC-10.