The objective of this Conservation and Management Measure (CMM) is, through the application of the precautionary approach and an ecosystem approach to fisheries management, to ensure the long-term conservation and sustainable use of sharks.
- Implement FAO International Plan of Action for the Conservation and Management of sharks.
- Full utilization of shark and prohibition of finning.
- Minimizing bycatch and practicing safe release, which includes: prohibition on using wire traces & 'shark lines' in tuna & billfish fisheries; and prohibition of deliberate purse seine sets around whale sharks.
- Species specific requirements (Oceanic whitetip sharks, silky sharks, whale sharks).
- Reporting requirements (data provision, e.g., shark retentions and releases by gear type and species).
- Research (including identifying nursery grounds).
Note that parts of this CMM come into force on 01/01/2024.
- WCPFC Guidelines for the Safe Release of Encircled Whale Sharks
- WCPFC Best Handling Practices for the Safe Release of Sharks (other than Whale Sharks and Mantas/Mobulids)